The Million Fan Demand for a NCAA Football Championship
We the fans of NCAA Football do hereby petition the NCAA to immediately and forthwith move to establish a Division I Playoff format that better reflects the competitive nature of the respective teams and the passionate desire of fans to enjoy a single-elimination tournament. This parallels the highly successful “March Madness” program.
Our Proposed Championship Format:
- Twelve teams, as determined by current NCAA rankings, will be eligible for the tournament.
- The Top Four teams will receive a bye in week 1 competition
- Teams 5-12 will play a single elimination Round 1 game over the first weekend (5 v 12, 6 v 11, 7 v 10, 8 v 9).
- Four Round 1 winners will advance to Round 2 over the second weekend. They will play, in ranked order, the four teams who received a week -one bye.
- Four Round 2 winners will advance to Round 3 over the third weekend.
- Two Round 3 winners will advance to the Finals over the fourth weekend. A “True Champion” will be crowned.
In the course of this tournament there will be a maximum of 11 aggregate games. Since all twelve of these teams will have likely been playing in a bowl game anyway, the actual increase in the number of games for a team advancing all the way to the Championship is minimal.
Data Confidentiality and Release Policy
The email address you submit with your signed petition will remain confidential and will not be published separately or shared with other institutions or persons. It is only used to prevent duplicate submissions and to verify that you are a real person.
Please add your name to our petition to the NCAA: